#CDHFTalks: Your New Infusion Clinic ‘Not the Same but Very Similar.’ Have you recently been diagnosed with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD): Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis and have been prescribed a biosimilar, or have recently switched from a biologic drug to a biosimilar? As you may or may not know, most biologic and biosimilar drugs are administered by Infusion which typically means that the drug is given through an IV (where a short needle is inserted into the layer of tissue between the skin and the muscle).
You might be receiving your infusion at an infusion clinic, and if you are newly diagnosed with IBD and new to the whole idea, we know you may have MANY questions. Similarly, if you have recently had to change infusion clinics for one reason or another, you may also have a ton of questions about what the experience will be like at your new infusion clinic.
In this CDHF Talks, Dr. Sean Pritchett, MD, Dr. Yvette Leung, Gastroenterologist, Athena Robitaille, BScN, RN, and Katelyn Syms, BScN, RN answer all of the questions you may have in regards to your new infusion clinic, and take you through a typical infusion at a real infusion clinic!
Watch the full version or skip to each section to find the answers you are looking for.
- Do I need to give up my current clinic?
- Will I have the same nurses caring for me?
- Will the new infusion clinic be close to my home?
- What can I expect on my first visit?
- What about COVID?
- What will your new infusion clinic look like?
- Do you have a separate peds room?
- Will the facility have the same chairs and creature comforts like TVS, iPads, etc?
- Can I bring a support/care partner?
- I travel frequently for business, will I have access to clinics across the country?
- Do the new infusion clinics have the capacity to accommodate patients?
- How and when are infusion appointments scheduled?
- Will I be able to receive my infusion in the evening or on the weekend?
- How long will the infusion take, will I receive my medication in a timely fashion?
- Will I need to be observed after my first biosimilar dose?
- Will the new clinic check my blood levels or do a TDM?
- How long will it take for my GI to receive results from my infusion appointment?
- Can I waive the observation period?
This video was made possible due to an unrestricted educational grant from Pfizer and Merck.