World Gastroenterology Organisation
The Canadian Digestive Health Foundation and the WGO are collaborating to help you improve your digestive health and overall wellbeing.
Top Tips for Improving Bloating
- Eat easily digestible carbohydrates such as: potatoes, rice, lettuce, bananas and grapes
- Consume products that contain pre and probiotics such as yogurt, kefir, bananas, whole grain breads and honey
- Gradually introduce more fibre into your diet: For optimal general health and function of the colon, you should aim to consume about 20 to 30 grams of fibre from a mixture of fruits, vegetables, legumes and grains and every day
- Drink plenty of water each day while decreasing your intake of caffeinated, alcoholic, and sugar-rich beverages such as pop and fruit juices
- Limit difficult to digest carbohydrates like beans, pulses, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and brussel sprouts
- Avoid foods that are greasy, high in animal fat, and fried
- Limit polyol-containing foods (common polyols include maltitol, sorbitol, xylitol and isomalt) Polyols are used as replacements for sugar as sweeteners in chewing gum, candy, ice cream, frozen desserts, baked goods, chocolate, fruit spreads, toothpaste, mouthwash, breath mints, cough syrup and cough drops.
- Do not rush eating and chew food slowly and well
- Maintain a healthy body mass index: aim to achieve your ideal body weight