Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents (PIPED) Act
In Canada, as of January 1, 2004 the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents (PIPED) Act extends to every organization that collects, uses or discloses personal information in the course of a commercial activity within a province, whether or not the organization is a federally regulated business. Organizations covered by the Act must obtain an individual's consent when they collect, use or disclose the individual's personal information:
- allow the individual to access their personal information;
- allow the individual to challenge the accuracy of their personal information;
- only use the personal information for the purposes for which it was collected;
- obtain additional consent if the personal information is going to be used for another purpose;
- assure the individuals that their information will be protected by specific safeguards, e.g., locked cabinets, computer passwords or encryption Personal information includes any factual or subjective information, recorded or not, about an identifiable individual.
The CDHF and the PIPED Act
The Canadian Digestive Health Foundation (CDHF) is committed to maintaining the confidentiality, privacy, security and accuracy of personal information in its possession. 'Personal information' includes information collected on applications for membership and event participation, newsletter subscriptions, web comments and inquiries and update forms or requests for support sent to partners and donors. All direct correspondence, paper-based or electronic, shall fully disclose all intended uses for personal information. Consent will be obtained to use, or to continue to use, the information for these purposes. The CDHF does not sell or in any way make available subscribers' personal information or membership lists without members consent.
Personal Information Collected
The CDHF defines personal information as information - oral, electronic or documents - about an identifiable individual, including but not limited to:
- Name and titles
- Sex, and date and place of birth
- Education, professional training and credentials
- Business and home address, phone, fax and email address
Use of Personal Information
Personal information collected by the CDHF is used:
- to send subscribers, donors and partners information about digestive health and disease
- to send subscribers, donors and partners information about CDHF events and activities
Before using personal information for any purpose other than those listed above, the CDHF will explain the purpose and obtain consent.
Security of Personal Information
Maintaining the security of personal information is important to the CDHF. Only authorized personnel have access to your information, and our systems and procedures are designed to prevent the loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction of your information.