World Gastroenterology Organisation.
The Canadian Digestive Health Foundation and the WGO are collaborating to help you improve your digestive health and overall wellbeing.
Our Top Tips for Reducing Flatulence (Gas!)
- Eat smaller and more frequent meals without increasing overall calorie intake. Don’t forget to have breakfast and avoid large meals late at night. The last meal should finish no later than 2 hours before bedtime
- Eat easily digestible carbohydrates such as: potatoes, rice, lettuce, bananas and grapes
- Consume products that contain pre and probiotics such as yogurt, kefir, bananas, whole grain breads and honey
- Drink plenty of water each day while decreasing your intake of caffeinated, alcoholic, and sugar-rich or artificially sweetened beverages such as pop and fruit juice
- Limit difficult to digest carbohydrates like beans, pulses, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and brussel sprouts
- Avoid foods that are greasy, high in animal fat, and fried
- Limit polyol-containing foods (common polyols include maltitol, sorbitol, xylitol and isomalt) Polyols are used as replacements for sugar as sweeteners in chewing gum, candy, ice cream, frozen desserts, baked goods, chocolate, fruit spreads, toothpaste, mouthwash, breath mints, cough syrup and cough drops.
- Take your time when eating and chew food slowly and well