CDHF Talks: GERD and Barrett’s Esophagus
In this series of videos, Dr. Jeff Mosko and Dr. Gail Darling go over all things GERD, its relationship to Barrett’s esophagus, the benefits of getting screened early, what are some of the treatment options, and advocating for your own health! Watch the full version or skip to each section to find the answers you are looking for.
- Part 1: Overview of GERD
- Part 2: Advanced Screening and Early Diagnosis
- Part 3: New Screening Options
- Part 4: Treatment Options
- Part 5: Continuity of Care
- Part 6: Current Resources and Outlook
Part 1: Overview of GERD
- What is Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)?
- What are the common symptoms of GERD?
- What is the impact of Chronic GERD?
- Who is at risk?
GERD Symptoms: Typical and Atypical. https://www.gerdhelp.com/about-gerd/symptoms/. Accessed on January 4, 2017.
What are the symptoms of GER and GERD? https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/acid-reflux-ger-gerd-adults/symptoms-causes. Accessed on January 4, 2017.
American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, https://www.asge.org/home/for-patients/patient-information/understanding-gerd-barrett-39-s
Part 2: Advanced Screening and Early Diagnosis
- What are the benefits of screening for Barrett’s Esophagus?
Canadian Cancer Society. Canadian Cancer Statistics 2019. Special topic: Pancreatic Cancer
Part 3: What are the new screening options for Barrett’s Esophagus?
Part 4: Treatment Options for Barrett’s Esophagus
- What are the treatment options?
- What is radiofrequency ablation?
Part 5: Continuity of Care
- Being your own advocate
- What do guidelines say?
Shaheen NJ, Weinberg DS, Denberg TD, et al. Upper endoscopy for gastroesophageal reflux disease: best practice advice from the clinical guidelines committee of the American College of Physicians. Ann Intern Med. 2012;157(11):808-816.
Katz PO, Gerson LB, Vela MF. Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of gastroesophageal reflux disease. Am J Gastroenterol. 2013;108(3):308-28.
ASGE Standards of Practice Committee, Evans JA, Early DS, et al. The role of endoscopy in Barrett’s esophagus and other premalignant conditions of the esophagus. Gastrointest Endosc. 2012;76(6):1087-94.
Part 6: Current Resources and Outlook
- Dymedex Market Development Consulting, GERD Sizing and Segmentation for pH Testing. February 13, 2015.