Summer Fresh Slaw
What’s a delicious piece of BBQ chicken without a side of slaw? In our opinion, it’s a summertime travesty. While coleslaw is a cookout staple, it’s rather unassuming in its traditional form. But slaw has come a long way as a side dish, and our chefs are taking slaw recipes to the next level—think Greek yogurt, Thai spice, hearty greens and more—while ensuring the slaws bring that crunch we love.
Whether you’re a fan of the creamy, mayonnaise-based classic or prefer a bright, vinegar base, you are sure to appreciate any slaw that’s both light and refreshing. Here are three Aramark chef recipes that fit the bill, making good use of classic cabbage, its veggie cousins, and other unexpected additions.
Not everyone is a fan of the cabbage-only slaw, and that’s A-OK. This recipe goes beyond the usual green and purple stuff and makes some room for cabbage’s crispy (and crazy popular) cousin, kale. You’ve likely heard it called a superfood and all for good reason. Kale has a phenomenal nutrition profile with one cup providing 684% of the FDA Daily Value (DV) for vitamin K, 134% of the DV of vitamin C, and 206% of the DV of vitamin A, in addition to many other vitamins and nutrients. In this Tangy Kale Slaw, we combine kale with red cabbage, carrots and green onions tossed in a honey-lime vinaigrette for a flavorful finish with just the right amount of zing.
Tangy Kale Slaw with Cilantro and Honey (Serves 6)
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh cilantro leaves, washed and chopped
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups fresh kale leaves (stems removed), washed and shredded
- 1/2 cup fresh red cabbage leaves, washed and shredded
- 1/2 cup fresh carrot, trimmed and shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh green onion (scallion), trimmed and thinly sliced
- In bowl, combine vinegar, mayonnaise, honey, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Whisk until well blended.
- Add remaining ingredients. Toss to coat.
- Cover and keep chilled for service.
Mix and Match.
Experiment with different ingredients to kick a traditional slaw into high gear. High in fiber and essential vitamins, this recipe includes dried apricots and Brussels sprouts—another cabbage cousin! It’s all tossed in a light and flavorful Dijon mustard vinaigrette.
Apricot Brussels Sprouts Slaw (Serves 6)
- 3 cups fresh Brussels sprouts, washed, trimmed and shredded
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 3 Tbsp seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp fresh red onion, trimmed and diced
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp extra fine granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients. Toss to coat.
- Cover and keep chilled for service.
Dare to go Sweet?
What makes this coleslaw so appealing is the sweet and tart flavour from the apples that adds a complexity and crunch when paired with the caramelized onion vinaigrette. Apples are high in fibre, vitamin C and antioxidants. This dish also gives you some extra servings of fruits and veggies, which will help give you energy to get you through your day.
Sweet Cabbage & Apple with Caramelized Onion Vinaigrette (Serves 6)
- 3/4 tsp vegetable or olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh red onion, trimmed and diced
- 3 Tbsp extra fine granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup granny smith apple, cored and cut into matchsticks (1 1/2″ X 1/8″ X 1/8″)
- 1 1/2 cup fresh green cabbage, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups fresh red cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- In saute pan over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onion. Saute until caramelized, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add sugar. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add vinegar. Stir to deglaze pan. Bring to a boil. Cook until liquid is reduced to syrup consistency, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool.
- In large bowl, add caramelized onion vinaigrette and remaining ingredients. Toss to coat. Cover. Keep chilled for service or use as directed in recipe
At Aramark, we focus on enriching and nourishing the lives of millions all over the world, providing a wide range of services—food, facilities and uniforms. We serve world champion sports teams, Fortune 500 companies, state-of-the-art healthcare providers and the world’s leading educational institutions. And every day, we dream of ways to do it better through our commitment to innovation and our passion for excellent customer service.
Healthy For Life™ is our comprehensive approach to health, wellness and environmental sustainability. It features a healthy and responsible menu strategy plus nutrition, wellness and sustainability programs, like our live it good educational program, that work together to support healthy lifestyles – for each of us, for our communities and for the planet.
Our food philosophy is simple – We believe in good food – and not just food that tastes good, but that’s good for you, for our communities, and for the planet. This simple idea is what drives our everyday actions. We focus on fresh, seasonal and plant forward foods that are responsibly and regionally sourced. And, we offer healthier options that are made with whole, minimally processed ingredients that are lower in calories, saturated fat and sodium – and that above all are delicious
Join us to harness the knowledge of our chefs, dietitians and other experts – and discover how to be healthy for life!
This content was developed in partnership with Aramark.