Crack Slaw Stir-fry
A simple stir-fry dish that is insanely addictive!
- 1 head Iceberg lettuce, shredded*
- 1 bunch Green onions, white and green parts divided, thinly sliced
- Handful Fresh mint, chiffonade (optional)
- Handful Fresh cilantro, chiffonade (optional)
- 1 lb Extra-lean ground turkey or other meat
- 1 tbsp Freshly grated ginger root
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely minced (or piece of homemade frozen garlic puck)
- 1-227g bag Coleslaw, Broccoli Slaw or Kale Slaw
- 1 tbsp Fish Sauce (or Soy sauce)
- 2 tsp Sesame oil
- 1-2 tsp Sriracha or hot sauce (optional)
- To taste Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Place the shredded lettuce, green parts of the green onions, fresh mint and cilantro in a large bowl and set aside.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot add the ground meat and cook for 4-5 minutes, breaking up the meat with the back of your spatula. Season with salt and pepper. Add in the white parts of the green onions, grated ginger and garlic. Cook for 1 minute until fragrant, then toss in the shredded slaw, fish sauce, sesame oil and hot sauce, and continue to cook, stirring often until the slaw is wilted. Pour the hot meat mixture over the bowl of shredded lettuce and toss to combine. Enjoy immediately!
Amanda Li is a Toronto-based Registered Dietitian, owner of Wellness Simplified, Professor at George Brown College and a foodie at heart. Upon completing a culinary arts diploma she knew she wanted to bring together her dietetic experience to create a nutrition coaching philosophy that is foodcentric and grounded in teaching individuals a basic life skill – nourishing their body, mind and soul. Her aim is to encourage, educate, and equip individuals with the hands-on food skills to make healthy eating the easier choice!