Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Étiquettes : IBS
- Canada has one of the highest prevalence of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in the world – estimated 18% vs. 11% globally. (Lovell et al. 2012)
- More than 70% indicate that their symptoms interfere with everyday life and 46% report missing work or school due to IBS. (Gastrointestinal Society 2016)
- 54% of those with IBS experience symptoms of fatigue. (Gastrointestinal Society 2018; Han et al. 2016)
- 40 to 60% of those with IBS experience psychological symptoms, including anxiety disorders and depression. (Gastrointestinal Society 2018)
- On average, IBS patients reported they would give up 25% of their remaining life (15 years) to live a symptom-free life. (Gastrointestinal Society 2018)
- Data from the US suggest that on average, costs are US$2,026 more per year per patient among those with IBS as compared to those without IBS. (Buono et al. 2017)
- On average, it takes 4 years for an individual to receive a definitive diagnosis of IBS. (Gastrointestinal Society 2018)
- In Canada, 45% of the direct costs for IBS treatment are attributed to diagnostic tests. (Fedorak et al. 2012)
Buono JL et al. Economic burden of irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea: Retrospective analysis of a U.S. commercially insured population. J Manag Care Spec Pharm. 2017 Apr;23(4):453-60.
Fedorak RN et al. Canadian Digestive Health Foundation Public Impact Series 3: Irritable bowel syndrome in Canada. Incidence, prevalence, and direct and indirect economic impact. Can J Gastroenterol. 2012 May;26(5):252-6.
Gastrointestinal Society. 2018. IBS Global Impact Report 2018. https://badgut-5q10xayth7t3zjokbv.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/IBS-Global-Impact-Report.pdf [accessed 3 September 2018]
Gastrointestinal Society. 2016. 2016 Survey Report: Irritable bowel syndrome. https://badgut-5q10xayth7t3zjokbv.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/IBS-Survey-Results-2016.pdf [accessed 3 September 2018]
Han CJ and Yang GS. Fatigue in irritable bowel syndrome: A systematic review and meta-analysis of pooled frequency and severity of fatigue. Asian Nurs Res (Korean Soc Nurs Sci). 2016 Mar;10(1):1-10.
Lovell RM and Ford AC. Global prevalence of and risk factors for irritable bowel syndrome: A meta-analysis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012 Jul;10(7):712-21.e4.
These resources were made possible through an unrestricted educational grant from IBgard.